There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to making energy balls. You can put just about anything in your energy balls from goji berries to hemp seeds - the choice is entirely yours! Here's a basic recipe we used to make our first batch of AWESOME little energy snacks!
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Ready in: 40 minutes
- 1 x Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 x Cup of Dates chopped finely (no pips)
- 1/2 x Cup of Sugar Free Peanut Butter
- 1/2 x Cup of Flax Seeds
- 1/3 x Cup of Hemp Seeds
- 1/2 x Cup of Chocolate Chips / Chopped Raw Cacoa Beans
- OR 1/3 Cup Cacoa Powder
- 1/3 x Cup of Natural Unprocessed Honey
- 1 x Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1 x Teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 x Cup Coconut Flakes
- And extra coconut flakes for coating
*** This recipe is completely flexible - see notes at the bottom
- 1. Mix your ingredients together - if your hand gets tired using a spoon, use your hands (preferably don't use a blender as ingredients will be too fine, unless that is your desired outcome). Cover and refrigerate your mixture for 20-30 minutes
- 2. Remove your energy dough from the fridge, roll into balls about 2.5cm in diameter and roll them in coconut for an extra gourmet vibe and VOILA!
* You can even make your energy balls into energy bars and use them on your next fitness mission
- I keep my energy balls in the fridge, but then again I am on the sweltering east coast of South Africa so nothing lasts outside the fridge here!
- In general, if you start experimenting with different ingredients or leave some ingredients out entirely, the balance of the recipe may be a little “off”. So if they get too dry, add a few more of the sticky ingredients like honey and/or nut butters. If they get too gooey, add in more oats.
- The name of the game with this recipe is customization. So feel free to give them a try and keep tweaking them to whatever specific combination tastes and feels good to you.
- Try different nut butters if you are allergic to peanut butter, different fruit combinations to replace the chocolate, or try different super foods and see what magic you can come up with ;)
I can't wait to try this recipe with macadamia nuts, goji berries and almond butter - that's my next attempt!