How you start your morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. So if you want to be productive, feel energized and happy, incorporate these practices into your daily life.
Personally, you can find us on the beach at sunrise with our poochies and our tea embracing the new day with gratitude and awe before we begin our busy days, so for us, being in nature is day-kick-starter 101 followed by a few other rituals that will set the tone for a magical, energized, in-the-moment kind of day!
- Wake up Earlier - Not only does this give you a a few moments to ease into the day, but it also avoid panic-mode, which can send your entire day off course. Setting some time aside for yourself everyday is key to living a balanced and positive life.
- Lemon Water - There are endless benefits to having hot lemon water first thing in the morning, (before tea, coffee or breakfast) but the major benefits that stand out are most certainly the immune boost from the vitamin C and the flush of your digestive tract giving your body a clean slate for the day.
- Practice Mindfulness - "Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience. It isn’t more complicated than that. It is opening to or receiving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it.” Sylvia Boorstein. Find mindfulness in the form of a daily yoga practice or meditation but we would recommend something slow before you start your work out routine. Calm your mind, ease into your body, slowly awaken your muscles and just give yourself a moment to ground and breathe before you kick off your to-do list for the day. Try to practice this mindfulness throughout your day!
- Exercise - Start with 20 minutes if that is all you have time for, but starting your day with a quick exercise routine is a great to get your happy hormones flowing freely. Take a quick beach walk, light jog, strong yoga session, swim or whatever you can that can get your juices flowing!
- Music - While you are getting ready for work, put on your favourite jam to inspire and motivate yourself to make a success of your day ahead. It's all about tapping into those feel good moments and holding onto them throughout your day.
- Fuel your body - Personally, I used to skip breakfast, but since I have included a healthy morning routine, I find my energy is far more sustained through the morning and I can easily sit down and focus when I need to work. Fuel your body with a peanut butter & banana smoothie, or a nice clean green juice if that works for you, but whatever you do, DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST! Here's a quick link for healthy smoothie recipes.
- Set a Positive Mantra - Set an intention or positive mantra for your day. Whether it's a simple "I can do this" or "Today I choose peace" - whatever you do, walk out the door with a positive thought and it will change your entire day!
3 THINGS TO AVOID THAT CAN SEND YOUR DAY OFF COURSE:
- Morning News – While it’s good to stay up to speed with the latest happenings, you’ll do yourself a huge favour by missing out on the more upsetting things that have happened overnight. By lunchtime the biggest news will have made it to you, and if it’s something really big you can catch yourself up on the Internet in a matter of minutes.
- Stimulants – Many of us reach instinctively for a cup of coffee in the morning to get us going, or need an energy drink before we consider the day started. But these are just crutches that could be masking a lack of sleep or nutrition. Drop the stimulants and continue to make positive changes until you don’t feel you need them anymore.
- Sleeping In – These are morning *rituals* we’re starting here, and you can’t expect them to change your life unless you stick to them religiously. Taking the weekends off of your routine is a sure way to disrupt the good habits you’ve formed during the week, and regress to your old ways. Stay the course, even on the weekends, and you’ll reap all of the benefits.